Disclaimer: Pierson’s Funeral Service is providing general information about the Canada Pension Plan benefits from the Government of Canada. Information, forms, rates and other details are updated periodically by the Government of Canada and we do not monitor them, therefore we cannot guarantee that all information and listed on our site is current and/or accurate.
For up to date information, contact the Government of Canada Public Pensions directly (Department of Human Resources-Development of Canada) at https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions.html or by telephone at (800) 277-9914.
When a death occurs, what CPP benefits could be available?
- Lump Sum Death Benefit – The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) death benefit is a one-time, lump-sum payment to the estate on behalf of a deceased CPP contributor. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-death-benefit.html
- Survivor Benefits – The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) survivor’s pension is paid to the person who, at the time of death, is the legal spouse or common-law partner of the deceased contributor. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-survivor-pension.html
- Benefits for children under 25 – The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) children’s benefits provide monthly payments to the dependent children of disabled or deceased CPP contributors. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-childrens-benefit.html
- Other CPP benefits – https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp.html
CPP benefits are between you and the Government and they don’t happen automatically, but we aim to help you apply for them. We can print off the forms and help you complete them and send them in to Service Canada on your behalf. Pierson’s Family Follow Up Counsellor will be in contact with you shortly after the funeral to set up a time to help you with this process.
Documents required: When submitting applications for benefits, you may be required to provide the following documents:
- Funeral Directors Statement of Death (obtained from Pierson’s)
- Birth certificate of person(s) making the application
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Will (if applicable)
- Banking information for direct deposit
If you wish to process benefit applications on your own, here is more contact information:
P.O. Box 818 Main Station
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 2N4
Service Canada Centres (SCC) in Calgary:
Calgary Centre Service Canada
Harry Hays Building, Suite 150
220 4th Avenue Southeast
120-23 Sunpark Drive SE
Calgary Temple Crossing
Temple Crossing, Suite 116
5401 Temple Drive
Calgary Royal Vista
15 Royal Vista Place NW, Floor 3,
Calgary One Executive Place
One Executive Place, Suite 103
1816 Crowchild Trail NW
For questions by phone contact Service Canada: (800) 622-6232
You are always welcome to call Pierson’s Funeral Service for assistance at (403) 235-3602.
24 hours/day (for urgent care or appointments)
Office hours (Mon-Sat 8:30 – 5:00 pm, closed holidays)